Monday 21 September 2009

Last Training Hike

Well, I've just completed my last off-road training hike before heading out to Brazil on the 7th October.

The route was a 22.5 mile undulating route, starting at Watlington, I have done numerous times before and yesterday, 20th September, I completed it with Mark Cooke and James Binks.

As it was our final hike it gave us all an opportunity to try out a few things with our kit. For example I was trying out my new 1.8L Platypus water bladder, along with 2 water bottles attached to the shoulder straps of my Raidlight. The configuration will allow me to hold the 'compulsory' amount of water when we leave each checkpoint in the jungle which happens to be 2.5L. So with a 1.8L bladder and 2 * 600mL bottles I'll be covered.

Another thing I tested on this hike was having wet feet for over 20 miles. Just before we set off I soaked my trainers and socks in water, much to the amusement of Mark and James. But, there was method in the madness and it allowed me to get a hold on whether my feet would really 'suffer' when wet. Thankfully after finishing the hike I didn't have any blisters, although my feet did look like dried prunes. Although the feet recovered very quickly I've learned that I'll need to dry my feet a few times, coupled with dry socks, on each day of the Jungle Marathon.

The hike started off in Watlington and covers part of the Ridgeway. The ground was pretty hard and we also enjoyed a number of short steep climbs which gave us a chance to really test our fitness, and leg strength. Bearing in mind we were all carrying our race weight backpacks which averaged out around 9-10kg.

We kept up a steady pace for the 22.5 miles and didn't stop for any breaks. Apart from the occassional clearing of stones from shoes. The weather was nice and warm and we managed to cover the distance in 5hrs 15mins. This was a really good pace considering the amount of hills we covered too.

Overall I'm now pretty happy with what I'm gonna wear and carry in the Jungle, although I'm sure there will be a few 'tweaks' before we start the first stage.

Between now and the 7th I'll be doing my regular daily speed marches with the backpack and obviously ensuring I don't pick up any silly injuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment